Mercosul Line and Environment
Trade and transportation of goods will continue to grow over the years, pushing companies to find efficient solutions in terms of carbon emissions. In this scenario, maritime transportation has an enormous potential to become even more relevant in the logistics chain of distribution of raw materials and finished products. Mercosul Line is committed to the development of cabotage in Brazil, supporting initiatives to enable the growth of this mode of transportation.
ISO 14001 is internationally used as a parameter for the establishment, documentation, implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of environmental management systems. The Mercosul Line ships are certified by ISO 14001, reinforcing the company's commitment to the environmental impact of our operations.
As it is part of the group A.P. Moller Maersk, Mercosul Line is participating in a series of initiatives aligned with the constant concern with the environment. Among them are:
- World Ocean Council - to create a platform to obtain scientific data on ocean
- World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) - to influence in the establishment of targets for CO2 emissions
- Compact Global - United Nations - to define the strategy according to the principle of the agreement in the areas of human and labor rights, environment and anti-corruption.
Locally, Mercosul Line is also part of ABAC - Brazilian Association of Shipowners of Cabotage, which has as main purpose the development and encouragement of cabotage in Brazil.
In Mercosul Line, we ensure that our operations are managed responsibly and respecting the world around us.
We work to minimize the environmental impact of our operations:
- Minimizing the consumption of fuel and lubricant.
- Reducing emissions using fuel with low sulfur content.
- Minimizing CO2 emissions by introducing policies of frequent engine maintenance.
- Mitigating the impact of sea transportation in the ocean using lead-free paint.
- Installing internally protected fuel tanks on ships to minimize the risk of oil leakage.
- Establishing a waste management plan on all ships.
The importance of relations with the parties that influence is unarguably or they are somehow impacted by the actions of Mercosul Line. We are moving toward a new stage of our Environmental Responsibility policy, taking into account the complex net of relationships to which the company belongs.
We listen to our customers, partners, authorities and society in general about the actions of environmental responsibility. We believe in the importance of cabotage as the most viable alternative for cargo transportation in the country, and we are committed to the implementation of projects that are aligned with sustainability and environmental preservation.